Welcome to the Ireland Watson IoT Hackathon, dubbed the #PorterHack.
As participants of this 48-hour hackathon, you and your team will:
- Learn how to build solutions on the world's leading cognitive IoT platform - IBM Watson IoT.
- Push the boundaries of technology with Edge IoT, the hottest topic in the IoT field.
- Develop a prototype with hands-on assistance from industry experts representing IBM Watson IoT, Cisco, VT Networks and many more.
- Develop your presentation technique with help from pitching coaches.
- Present your business case to join the IBM Watson IoT Ecosystem.
- Own any IP that you develop during the Hackathon.
- Win cool prizes and pick up SWAG.
Spaces in this competition are limited, so make sure that you apply early. Find out how to enter.
Programme of Events
Friday, 7th October
- 17:00 Hackathon kicks off at the Portershed.
- Form your team. Bring your own team or we'll help you form one.
- Meet your mentor. Each team is assigned a mentor to guide them during the hackathon.
- 18.00 – Welcome and Kick-off.
- 18.10 - Keynote speaker (Dave Locke) and outline of competitions and prizes
- 18.30 – Internet of Things (IoT) enablement session (Brian Innes)
- 19.15 – Q & A
- 19:30 – Meet mentor, Food, beer and team forming
- 21.00 – Submit team proposal on DEVPost site , followed by 2 minute intro per team
- Hacking continues as late as you want or through the night.
Saturday, 8th October
- 08.00 - Breakfast
- 09.00 – Deep dive for the hubs
- 09.00 – UX
- 09.15 – Cisco (15 each for Edge and Spark API or 15 mins total?)
- 09.45 – VT Networks
- 10.00 – Teams resume hacking and drop into the deep dives as needed
- 13.00 – Lunch
- 17.30 – The Perfect Pitch presentation - Tracy Keogh BoI StartLabs
- 18.00 – Dinner
- Hack on through the night!!!
Sunday, 9th October
- 08.00 – Breakfast
- 11.00 - Finish hacking and prep pitching
- 11.00 – Polish pitches with business mentors
- 12.30 - Pitch to the judges
- 13.30 – Judges confer
- 14:00 – Prizes, close, and certificates
- 14.30 – Lunch, beer, and live music
Feeling sleepy after a marathon of continuous hacking? You are welcome to spend the night at the PorterShed. Just don’t forget to bring a sleeping bag! A yoga mat could also be useful to give you extra comfort. Toilets and showers are available at the venue, so bring a towel and toiletries. We will provide food for you at regular intervals during the day, but there is also kitchenette on site to store any food that you bring. Why not help yourself to a barista-style coffee?
You may bring your own hardware and devices for use during the hackathon. For example, you may want to bring laptops, breadboards, Arduinos, and cables. Don’t forget your power adaptors! Consider labelling your equipment in advance to avoid any mix-ups.
You are free to come and go as you please, however we will be operating a strict code of conduct to ensure the safety of all participants. There will be a security presence at the PorterShed from 11pm through to 7am on Friday and Saturday. The companies, venue, and organizers cannot take responsibility for loss or theft, so please make sure to look after your belongings.
IBM Galway will be posting multiple times per day about the event:
Enter our competition to win a Raspberry Pi:
Keep in contact and share with one another on LinkedIn:
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Each participant must register for an IBM Bluemix account. Upon completion of your registration, the Hackathon team will extend your trial account with extra time, services, and resources.
Best Overall IoT Project
The big Kahuna - best overall IoT project
Best Citizen Scientist IoT Project
Best IoT project that solves a social problem relevant to your local community.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
How to enter
Note: This event is full! However, we are operating a wait-list for the Hackathon.
If you wish to get added to the wait-list
Complete step 1 and 2 of the registration process as per normal below.
On the Clearbookings site (Step 2), select Waiting List, this will generate an email to the event organisers. We will contact you directly with specific details.
1. Register for IBM Bluemix
Register here: https://console.ng.bluemix.net/
This event will be using IBM Bluemix as the Digital Innovation Platform for your Watson IoT projects.
Upon completion of your registration and in advance of the competition, the Hackathon team will extend your trial account with extra time, services, and resources.
Already registered on IBM Bluemix? Continue to step 2 and use your existing IBM Bluemix ID when registering.
2. Sign up for the Hackathon at porterhack.clearbookings.com
Don't forget, you're going to need that IBM Bluemix ID!
Who Can Enter?
Are you an expert in Industry, Science, or Engineering? Bring your IoT problem and we will help you form a team to realise your prototype in 48 hours.
- Post graduates and Researchers
IBM - Watson IOT EcoSystem and M2M Evangelist
VT Networks (SIGFOX Networks Operator) - Director Business Development
Cisco - Principal Engineer in CTO Office, Collaboration Technology Group
Dr. Martin Serrano
insight-centre.org - Head of Research, IoT and Stream Processing Unit
Altocloud - CTO & Co-Founder
Triona MacGiolla Rí
Aró - Founder
IBM - Worldwide Solution Leader, IoT
IDA Ireland - Technology Innovation, Research and Development Advisor & IoT Lead
1: Innovation/Novelty (25%)
Got the next unicorn? How new and interesting is the idea?
2: Business Case and Pitch presentation (25%)
How well does the team pitch their idea? Pitching starts 12:30 Sunday. 1 minute setup. 4 minute pitch.
3: IBM Cloud Technologies (25%)
How well does the project leverage IBM Watson/Bluemix capabilities? There must be an application running in Bluemix. Additional marks awarded for projects that actively use Bluemix Services.
4: Completeness (25%)
What % of the Businesss Case is demonstrated by the tecnnology.